Pet-owning previous tenants might have introduced undesirable pet odors into the premises. When your new tenants do not have pets or are extremely sensitive to pet odors, a stinky rental property can be particularly problematic. Removing pet smells from a rental property can be challenging, especially if the tenant has occupied the space for an extended period of time or if the pets have caused significant harm. These expert tips may be helpful to restore your property and get the pet odors out.
The Quick Science Behind Pet Odors
Pet smells are a common issue in rental homes where pets are permitted. Pet urine and feces contain bacteria that decompose into volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which contribute to foul odors and health issues. Use enzymatic cleaners and routinely clean hard surfaces, carpets, and upholstery to get rid of pet odors. Along with regular cleaning, it’s crucial to prevent pet odors by clearly outlining expectations for tenants.
Methods for Removing Pet Odors from Your Rental Property
To protect the safety of both people and pets, pet-friendly cleaning products must be used when cleaning various surfaces such as carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces. Additionally, regular cleaning and maintenance can aid in preventing pet odors from becoming problematic.
- Enzymatic cleaners contain enzymes that degrade the bacteria responsible for the odor, making them the most effective method for eliminating pet odors. Carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces are all suitable for enzymatic cleaning. Pet feces and urine can also leave stains and discolorations that they can help remove. They may, however, cost more than other cleaning supplies.
- Baking soda and vinegar contain cleaning agents derived from natural sources that eliminate pet odors. Effective against odors, baking soda functions as a natural deodorizer. Sprinkle baking soda over carpets and upholstery and after leaving it to soak in for several hours, vacuum it up. For hard surfaces, combine water and vinegar in a spray bottle. As a natural disinfectant, vinegar is effective against bacteria and viruses.
- Activated charcoal enables the elimination of pet odors as a natural odor absorber. To eliminate odors from the rental property, locate several bowls filled with activated charcoal. It can be difficult to clean up and can be messy.
- Air purifiers is effective at eliminating pet odors from the air. Air purifiers function by removing allergens and pet dander. They do, however, need frequent maintenance and can be costly.
Keeping Your Rental Property Odor-Free
It’s essential to stop pet odors from developing in the first place if you want rental properties to stay odor-free. Frequent upkeep and cleaning can help prevent pet odors from becoming a problem. Here are some pointers for avoiding pet odors in the future:
- Set clear expectations for tenants with pets. Setting clear guidelines for tenants who bring pets into the rental is crucial to making sure they know what’s expected of them in terms of maintaining the place odor-free and clean. This may entail making them regularly clean up after their pets go outside or requiring them to use odor control techniques like pee pads.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance: Odors from pets can be avoided by doing routine maintenance and cleaning. This includes cleaning carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces on a regular basis to prevent the accumulation of pet odor. It is imperative to utilize cleaning agents that are safe for both people and animals.
- Air purifiers: Pet odors can be reduced in the air with the use of air purifiers. They function by removing various allergens, including pet dander. One potential measure to mitigate the occurrence of pet odors in communal spaces of the rental property is the installation of air purifiers.
- Limit the number and size of animals: Rental units can minimize damage and odors by restricting the size and number of animals allowed. As a result, pet odors between tenants may be effectively eliminated.
Pet odors have the potential to reduce the value of rental properties and induce health complications. In order to prevent these problems, landlords and property managers should be aware of the smells caused by pets and employ efficient ways to get rid of them, like air purifiers, baking soda and vinegar, enzymatic cleaners, and activated charcoal. It is also essential to prevent pet odors in rental units by limiting the number and size of animals, maintaining regular cleanliness and maintenance, and establishing clear expectations for tenants with pets. By carrying out these procedures, rental properties can maintain an appealing and odor-free appearance, which in turn attracts prospective tenants.
Commence enjoying the efficacy and tranquility of collaborating with a property management firm that serves Burleson and the environs by contacting Real Property Management Trailhead immediately. Contact us online or call us at 817-930-1160.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.