Numerous renters are focused on living more sustainably. Furthermore, a crucial part of sustainable living is reusing food containers as much as you can. Glass jars are quite easy to repurpose since they can be washed and then re-filled or used create something new. If you’ve been thinking about strategies to reuse glass jars, here are ten alternatives to get you started!
- Store bulk food items. Clean glass jars are suitable for storing food items bought in bulk, like nuts and seeds, grains, and baking essentials.
- Quick and easy meals. Using glass jars can help you keep your leftovers or to create overnight oats for a yummy breakfast. For lunch, you can layer salad and toppings in a jar for quick and simple takeaway food.
- Drinks all around! Many glass jars can make fun glassware for drinks. Canning jars are also sturdier compared to any other type of glassware, making them appropriate for the dishwasher and for use on different kinds of occasions, indoors and out.
- Create a hanging spice rack. Small glass jars might be used to create an attractive and organized hanging spice rack for your kitchen. Simply screw the lids of baby food jars to the underside of your cabinets, fill the jars with spices you liked, and twist them on. This works perfectly in the garage to store small hardware, too!
- Add natural beauty. Why not utilize a glass jar as a vase for a quick and easy touch of beauty? Put them in your favorite spot and add flowers and water.
- Light it up. Repurposed glass jars can turn into tealight holders. To make one, pour the bottom of an empty glass jar with sand, beads, or tiny pebbles, and add a tealight candle. Put it on a table, or add a handle of wire or twine to hang.
- Get down to earth. Another creative way to use glass jars is to create a terrarium. Using soil, pebbles, bark, dried flowers, or anything else you’d like, make a visually interesting display in a jar. These work great for home décor or to give as gifts.
- Give the gift of dessert. You can use repurposed glass jars to produce a lovely treat for friends and neighbors. Layer the dry ingredients for cookies or brownies in the jar, attach a bow and baking instructions, and gift away!
- Helpful home storage. Glass jars work perfectly to store small household items, including cotton swabs, makeup, office supplies, and the rest. For a further creative twist, you could decorate the jar with paint, markers, or ribbon and then put it on a vanity, shelf, or desk.
- Save it up. If you are saving up for something special, you can utilize one or two glass jars to help you see the progress you are making. Glass jars can gather loose coins and bills or even slips of paper. Put them in and watch your savings grow towards your goals!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.